Saturday, August 10, 2013

Four Season's Les Miserables: Beauty In Misery

Powerful Finale To The First Act
Is it just me, or is it weird to enjoy something titled "Les Miserables" so much?

As I sat through Four Season's production, all that went through my mind was it's beauty. As previously noted, I am one of the only people on the planet who has never seen Les Miserables. Having the privilege to attend opening night, I am saddened I have waited this long to experience this powerful show.

Assuming most of you who read this are familiar with Les Mis, I will cut to the chase. Full disclosure here: I know many involved in this production. I expected it to be good.

But I didn't expect it to be that good...

The first thing that popped out for me was the clarity and precision of the orchestra. Andrew Abrams and crew were on their game. Not being too familiar with the music, that is what I keyed in on first. Throughout Les Mis, there are gorgeous melodies which the musicians pulled off perfectly.


Eric Moore

And near and dear to my heart, there are the singers. Eric Moore as Jean Valjean conveyed his love and heartache not only through his wonderful voice, but also his wonderful acting.

Equally as powerful in my book was Sierra Naomi as Fantine. I fell in love with her voice as she sang "I dreamed a dream," and was sucked in by her performance.

Rachel Holmes knocked it out of the park as Cosette, and I am not saying that just because she is in Fresco's next production (Paranormal Playhouse). She certainly has one of the best vocal instruments I have heard. Period.

So I know you are probably saying to yourself "wow, that is a lot of gushing... you must be shilling for your friends." At least that is what I would be saying if I were reading this.

Eric Moore and Rachel Holmes

Well I do have some inside information. I know how much the cast and crew love this production. Four Season's was truly overwhelmed by people showing up for the auditions back in the spring. This is a show people long to be in. A show the performers love.

And that is what came out last night. When I would see my friends post on Facebook that this was "their dream come true" or "the role of a lifetime," they meant it by performing as such.

The bottom line is that I am being objective. This was a great performance and if you should make time to see it. There are plenty of opportunities this weekend and next. Maybe you've seen Les Mis a dozen times, or maybe it is new to you. Regardless, Four Seasons Theatre's production of "Les Miserables" sets a high mark.

                                                                                                                                                                       
Master Of The House

http://fourseasonstheatre.com/les-mis/

Jeff Turk





No comments:

Post a Comment